Tibet: Roof of the World
Tibet has always captured the imagination of dreamers, travelers and explorers. Tibet no doubt is one of the most noteworthy places to visit in Asia. It remained hidden from the outside world for centuries but its beautiful landscapes, stunning views, monasteries and natural beauty made a quiet but powerful statement for ages. Shangri-La; a manifestation of Tibet’s mythical lands is a fictional place described as an earthly paradise, a permanently happy land free from the outside world. Many scholars believe Shangri-La to be Shambhala: a mythical kingdom in Tibet.
Tibet is the traditional homeland of the Tibetan people and many other tribes such as Mongpas, Qiang, Lhobas etc. With an average elevation of 4900 meters, Tibet is the highest region in the world. Emerging as a unified empire in the 7th century, Tibet got divided into various territories with time.
Tibet’s Dalai Lama Lineage
In 1578, the Mongol ruler Altan Khan bestowed the title on the leader of Gelugpa school of Buddhism: Sonam Gyatso. Later, the political unification and authority of Tibet was assumed by the 5th Dalai Lama. Central Tibetan States we established in 1649 followed by a series if invasions. The People’s Republic of China governs the central and western part of Tibet. The Chinese control of Tibet resulted in the displacement of hundreds of thousands of Tibetans, including the spiritual leader Dalai Lama.
Places to Visit In Trans Tibet Trip
- Kathmandu: After landing at Tribhuvan International Airport, a vibrant city—Kathmandu awaits thousands of visitors every year. Discovering the cultural heritage of Nepal has always been a joy for tourists. People discover a vibrant city with Hindu temples, Buddhist stupas, sacred burning ghats etc. An interesting thing to look out for is Nepalese folktale; expressed in the form of dance and music.
- Lhasa: At an altitude of 3490 meters, Lhasa is a strikingly beautiful destination. It is the administrative capital of Tibet and the 2nd most populated city in the Tibetan Plateau. Lhasa is one of the highest cities in the world with sites such as Patola Palace, Jokhang Temple etc.
- Gyantse: It is a town located in Gyantse county which was historically projected as one of the most prominent town in the Tibet region. Under the reign of 13th Dalai Lama, Gyantse was used as a base to train Tibetan officers. Gyantse is known for its restored Gyantse Dzong (fort) and the magnificent Kumbum.
- Shigaste: It is the 2nd largest city of Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR) of the People’s Republic of China. Located at an altitude of 3840 meters, it is a beautiful city located between Brahmaputra River and Nyang River.
Day 01: Arrive to Kathmandu; transfer to hotel
Day 02: Sightseeing in Kathmandu
Day 03: Drive to Kodari & drive to Nalayam
Day 04: Rest day at Nalayam for acclimatization
Day 05: Drive to Shigaste
Day 06: Drive to Lhasa
Day 07: Sightseeing in Lhasa
Day 08: Sightseeing in Lhasa & experiencing its culture.
Day 09: Drive back to Gyantse
Day 10: Drive to Shegar
Day 11: Drive to Dhulikhel
Day 12: Drive to Kathmandu & depart by late evening flight
Fixed Departure : 26th July – 6th Aug 2014We can also design custom itineraries to suit your travel plans
Cost of fixed Departure trip : INR 70000
- Arrival & departure transfers in a private van with escort
- Sightseeing tour in Bouddhanath, Pashupatinath & Kathmandu Durbar Square with English speaking local guide & entry fees
- 2 nights’ accommodation in Kathmandu on twin sharing with breakfast
- 1 night accommodation in Dhulikhel on twin sharing with breakfast
- Kathmandu to Kordari surface transfer by private vehicle with tour officer
- 3 star hotel in Lhasa n twin sharing & best available en route with breakfast
- Transportation by private bus or van
- Sightseeing tours with English speaking local TIBETAN guide
- All entry fees
- Tibet travel permit & Chinese visa
- Airport transfers & supply of bottled oxygen in car
- Welcome dinner at authentic Nepali restaurant with live cultural program
- Any airfare & departure taxes
- Lunch & dinner (Approx 7-10 USD per meal)
- Any airfare (can book, quoted separately above)
- Personal clothing & equipments
- Any expenses incurred in emergency evacuation/road block due any reason
- Your insurance